A Loco Directory Review

YoBoY yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:33:28 UTC 2010

Le 27/08/2010 12:54, Daniel Holbach a écrit :
> Am 20.08.2010 02:32, schrieb YoBoY:
>
>> The official Ubuntu.com first.
>>
> Where exactly would you like to put it?

This page seems the right place to start with.
http://www.ubuntu.com/community

>> The wiki.ubuntu.com, the LoCo teams can make links to point their
>> upcomming events.
>>
> That sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe we could put it as a
> suggestion somewhere in the "how to start a loco" guide?

Yes, and in the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList page, a link to the
locodirectory.

>> The word "LoCo" is an acronym who stand for Local Community. I know
>> that. But my mom and a lot of people don't know that. The front page
>> have 9 "LoCo" in it but 0 Local Community.
>>
> I agree it'd be nice to have some explanatory text on the main page. Can
> somebody file a bug with some suggestion for a piece of text?

The modified title took care of that point, some of the translations had
already corrected that acronym problem before that.

>>> All Launchpad team owners and admins should go and
>>>    - visit their Launchpad team page and change the display name
>>>      of the team to "Ubuntu<Country/State/City>" (don't change the
>>>      launchpad ID of the team)
>>>    - visit their team page in loco.ubuntu.com and select the country
>>>      they are doing their lion share of good work
>>>
>>> Please let's all make and effort to get this right!
>>>

>> All the teams ar not "One country" based. I can't do that, change the
>> name, for my team.
>>
> Well, in some cases it might need a bit of thinking to come up with
> something that is more revealing than, just as an example, 'ubuntu-fr',
> but I'm sure we can get this right.

sure :)

>> Having the countries is a big step. Perhaps just adding the country
>> after the team name, or making some automatic filtering to mask the
>> ubuntu and the team words where we can.
>>
> Does the search filter on country names of the team?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/613132
I added a comment on it.

>> I searched for France, ubuntu-fr, catalan. The result is the same, the
>> page don't change.
>>
> Is there a bug for it?

>>> Searching in your language might be a bit hard to implement. Where do
>>> you see the past events?
>>>

>> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/history/<<  the events page, the submenu
>> have the link to it.
>>
> Is there a bug for the broken event search?

I don't think so.

>>> It might make sense to be able to add a link explaining where to get
>>> that local support.
>>>

>> But what is "Local support" ? it's realy a community thing ?
>>
> It's always been part of the LoCoTeamsList wiki page. I encourage to
> have a debate about the purpose and sense of this. Until a conclusion is
> reached I wouldn't change anything in the LoCo Directory though.

Ok, I haven't noticed that column before :) I opne a new thread for that
point.

done : https://bugs.launchpad.net/loco-directory/+bug/625288

> Have a great day,
>   Daniel