Best Practices and Guidelines

Dirk Deimeke dirk at deimeke.net
Tue Aug 24 15:56:41 UTC 2010

Answering Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es>
(Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:30:16 -0700):

Hi,

> I suggest that we start with a *problem statement*. Several come to mind
> based on this thread.

I like to add something I posted to the official Swiss mailinglist:

---
Now I am for 2.5 years in Switzerland and I found out that the
majority of Swiss people is extremely focussed on regional aspects,
not only in terms of distances but also in terms of languages.

That makes it even for me as German person, fluently speaking one of
the official languages in Switzerland, difficult to get in touch with
the "normal" Swiss people. And this is only because I do not speak the
regional dialect, I am only able to understand it.

Having this in mind, I do not think the needs of those people can be
satisfied with one central instance regardless of the language.

LoCo-teams are build to satisfy
- regional needs (see USA)
- cultural needs (see Kurdish team)
- language needs (see Catalan team)
These are only examples.
---

Switzerland is a very small country, having four official languages.

I do not think that every bunch of people needs an own LoCo team but
it can be extremely difficult to copy with language, cultural,
timezone, regional, ... issues in a very big team. In the end we are
all hobbyists and have limited time to give.

Cheers

Dirk

--
Kontakt: http://d5e.org/contact