Best Practices and Guidelines

YoBoY yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:36:10 UTC 2010

Le 24/08/2010 14:57, Darcy Casselman a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM, YoBoY<yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Most of the Lugs are 90% ubuntu users. Most of
>> the lugs contribute to ubuntu or the ubuntu-fr community. But they don't
>> need (they don't want) to have the official status because we already
>> have this status, they are ubuntu-fr also.
>>
> We're starting to reach out to LUGs now.  I'm trying to figure out
> what to say to them.  What can we (the national LoCo) offer and what
> should we be asking of them?
>
> We started with "Hey, you should become a chapter! :D"  But in our
> first attempts, we've run into some resistance because they don't want
> to be tied to a specific distribution.  We're going to work on
> clearing up that misconception, but it does seem to illustrate
> problems with our approach.  We've seen more suspicion than
> enthusiasm.  How do you suggest avoiding that?
>
> For cities that have no LUGs, but has one or two people on the mailing
> list, our way is a little clearer: tell them to start an Ubuntu Hour.
> Start holding events.  But are there best practices to help them get
> their groups off the ground?
>
> I think one of the problems the bug was meant to address is that most
> of the documentation for LoCo teams assumes one LoCo Team == one
> group.  But the local groups and the regional/national teams seem like
> two different things to me.  There's not a lot of guidance for how the
> national teams can encourage and support local groups.
>
> Darcy.

There is no rules.

Our team have just one: you are free to join, you are free to help, you
are you are free to leave.

The lugs are separate groups, they do their stuff, events, promote
ubuntu and libre software. They can claim being a part of our team, all
the french users are. But they keep their identity.

Our french community is a community of users, not a community of
members. We can't be in all places, we can't organize events everywhere,
only user groups can do that. We can only promote these ubuntu related
events, and invite all our community to go to these events. If they need
help, to hold a both, to have material, or to have benevolents, we try
to help them also. With time you learn to know the people behind these
groups, they know you, they can become more a real part of your Ubuntu
family.

If you want to contact the Lugs, just ask if they are doing ubuntu
related events, like hours, install fests, courses, and tell them you
can promote these events on the ubuntu channels (Loco Directory, planet,
forum, ...), share your experience, invite them to join your irc channel
where they can find help.

YoBoY