Legal entity

Efrain Valles efrain at ubuntu.org.ve
Wed May 7 12:18:21 BST 2008

The Ubuntu-ve considered this too a while back, but we were discouraged
to do it using the figure of the LoCo team. and it was not discused in
depth, but basically we saw the elements that this brings, it makes
rotation a bit difficult (since it requires money and lawyers to make
documents official) and time comsuming. there is also a great benefit.
in Venezuela social resposibility is enforced and companies have to help
Non profit organizations and to prove that they have helped one they
needed a letter from the non-profit so that they can show the fiscal
authorities.

Then we didn't consider Ubuntu-ve mature enough to handle  a legal
status. but we could consider joining forces qith other FOSS advocates
and start one for the benefit not just of the LoCo team but any team
seeking promotion of free software and leaving the Ubuntu-ve name aside
for this.

and example of such aliances in Venezuela is www.glove.org.ve
here is a list of all the LUGS participating in it.
http://www.glove.org.ve/?page_id=4

Notice the Non-profit offers a more organized structure for all others
to join. this is helpful when the team is a bit messy and still need to
look organized in front of companies offering sponsorship ;)

I particularly do not belong to it, but ubuntu-ve in it's early stages
benefited greatly from basic hosting services and other sponsored
resources.

This works in my country, your country might be a totally different
scenario.

Hope this helps