Loco Council, or an alternative idea of what it could be :)

Yann yann.hamon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 09:53:41 BST 2007

> To bluntly summarise your suggestion, you are proposing to set up a
> rival to the Ubuntu Foundation.
>
> Yes.

 As others on the thread have pointed
> out, this is really disturbing. Not to mention the fact that you
> simply say "we're going to do this", rather than showing a willingness
> for discussion on this issue which not only affects the entire
> Locoteam project, but affects the entire Ubuntu project.
>
> A more mature and collaborative way to proceed would have been to
> voice your concerns about the existing Ubuntu Foundation and the setup
> of Ubuntu fundraising with the Community Council,

I did. Many, many times. I mailed canonical several times, spoke to jono
several times too, I was even the guy who asked about the Foundation
directly to mark at the LinuxTag. Every time I did so, I was answered that I
misunderstood what the Ubuntu Foundation was, and that it wasn't supposed to
be active (sigh). This has been ongoing for more than one year.

and participate in a
> discussion which can identify and analyse the relevant issues. I
> invite you to do so now.
>
> This post was first intended to do so :)

So, yes, this is about setting up another foundation, as I (and some other
people) strongly disagree with Canonical as wether or not it is needed.
Until now the only answer I got was "This just won't happen". But anyway,
basically the only thing we will be doing is continue to do what we have
been doing for quite a long time now: share money and knowledge among other
locos to reduce costs and time, and try to help smaller locos - but maybe
this time with a separate entity as time has proved that having the money
distributed among several different bank accounts wasn't the best idea we
had :]

Of course the "separate" initiative would be canceled if at some point
Canonical wanted to take over the project in the name of the Ubuntu
Foundation. We would also be happy to hand it over to the community council,
or the locoteam council, if at one point they want to.

Cordially,
Yann