Ubuntu in Central America

Leo Gomez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Sat May 12 04:56:04 BST 2007

Hi all!

The Ubuntu Nicaraguan LoCo Team is currently in the process of mentoring the
other Central American LoCo Teams in order to organize the teams, get them
active and hopefully achieve approved status before the end of this year.

As a result of this process we created the Ubuntu Central American Team
(Ubuntu Centroamerica)[1][2] with the participation of five teams; Costa
Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. Hopefully we will add
the Panama and Belize Ubuntu Team also as soon as they register their teams.

We had our first meeting today with the LoCo Team Contacts in the
#ubuntu-centroamerica IRC channel. The meeting was very productive and we
came to the following agreements:

* Ubuntu Centroamerica will meet on a regular basis (once a week) in order
to follow-up the whole work we are doing.
* The Ubuntu-ni Team will assist the other teams in the area in order to
obtain the initial resources up and running (IRC, mailing lists, wiki, etc.)
* Ubuntu-ni will also help with the wiki design and content and provide web
hosting for the local teams and Ubuntu Centroamerica as needed.
* The 'Consejo Comunitario' (Ubuntu-ni Community Council) will invite the
Central American LoCo Team members to the Ubuntu-ni regular meetings so they
can get ideas/learn from our experience and contribute as well.
* The Ubuntu Centroamerica Teams will collaborate on joint projects and
activities.

Our first joint project that is being planned right now is a huge two-day
Central American Ubuntu Festival in Managua, Nicaragua celebrating the Gutsy
Gibbon release on October 2007. We'll have conferences, installfest, booths,
exhibitions, contests, CDs give away and much more. We hope we'll be able to
invite teams from other regions of the world as well. Maybe we can also get
someone from Canonical over here to join us in this celebration, it would be
really nice... :)

We are documenting this whole experience and hopefully it will be useful for
other LoCo Teams around the world. If you're interested in this project and
come from a Spanish speaking country (or not) you're welcome to join the
team and/or email me.

Cheers,

Leo

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-centroamerica