hello everybody

Simon Ruiz sruiz at mccsc.edu
Wed Mar 21 13:29:49 GMT 2007

Yeah, the only way to use Creative Suite under Linux that I know of would be to install Windows in a Virtual Machine (with something like vmware), install CS2 into that, and bring up the Virtual Machine when you want to run CS2.

It's not an optimal solution, as you'd still technically be running Windows--just as an application under Linux--but then again you already paid for a license to use it so there wouldn't be a legal problem with it, and you could limit your Windows exposure to just using CS2.

The most popular open source alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator are the GIMP (installed by default on Ubuntu) and Inkscape, if you're willing to give them a try.

They're not the same interface you're used to, but they can do maybe 95% of the same things, and in fact there are projects that do things like GIMPshop which modifies the GIMP interface to recreate the feel of Photoshop, and PSPI which is a GIMP plugin that runs Photoshop plug-in filters under GIMP.

Then again, most GIMP enthusiasts would likely suggest that the learning curve to figure out the GIMP way of doing Image Manipulation is well worth it.

Also, technically, this type of inquiry would be more appropriate elsewhere as this is a mailing list about Local Community Teams.

I hope this finds you having a great day!

Simón