Introductions

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 6 21:12:49 BST 2006

Hiya Jono,

Name is Rich Johnson, aka nixternal, and I am currently the Ubuntu Chicago
Team Lead/Contact. Ubuntu Chicago is a fairly new development, only a couple
of months old, but that hasn't stopped us from spreading Ubuntu throughout an
area consisting of roughly 9 million people. We have even been known to show
up in pictures with sabdfl himself,
http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/teamstuff/ucmark.jpg.

In just the past few months here is what Ubuntu Chicago has done:
 * Provided a base for advocacy and support for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and
Xubuntu throughout the Chicagoland area.

 * Attended tradeshows and conferences expressing the roll Ubuntu can play in
the corporate environment

 * Collaborated with the various LUGs throughout the area
    * Turned a typical 15 user Linux Install Fest into more than 100 users, of
which more than 80 selected to run Ubuntu or one of its partner projects

 * Recently demonstrated the unique differences between Ubuntu, Microsoft, and
Apple (Just got back 15 minutes ago from doing this as a matter of fact).
     * Let Apple know that their hardware is good, but DRM stinks! And then
showed them that in order to bypass DRM they could install Ubuntu onto that
amazing piece of hardware ;) Yes, we were next to Apple and Gateway,
displaying Microsoft Word and iTunes running on Ubuntu (yes I know that is
just wrong, but we showed them that if you must live with Office or iTunes,
fear no more, you can do it on Ubuntu ;)

 * Future plans
     * Procuring advertisement (Billboards, Magazine, Radio, Newspaper)
     * Further LUG collaboration (possible UberFest deal in the making)
     * Offering FREE support to Ubuntu users in the Chicago land area
     * Working out a collaboration with Ubuntu Chicago and FREE GEEK Chicago
(http://www.freegeekchicago.org) to build Ubuntu based systems to donate to
the less fortunate.
     * Trying to get in with the local and state government, local schools,
boys and girls clubs, and the YMCA with Edubuntu

That is about it from Ubuntu Chicago. We are trying to become more active on a
daily basis, and we are always looking for good men and women to help us out.
Our contact information is as follows:

http://chi.ubuntu-us.org (Canonical server)