CD shipments to LoCo teams

Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Thu Sep 1 10:41:55 CDT 2005

Hi -

>when you send cds to Brazil with costs described at receipt we must
>pay taxes, but if you send zero cost at receipt, the cds pass thought.
>More info[1]

This is good to know, thanks.  I should have mentioned this in my
earlier mail - we're trying to improve how things are handled at customs
as well.

The tricky thing with this is that every country is different.  In some
countries, putting a value of 0 on the package will raise suspicion and
cause more scrutiny than the low value currently put on the packages
(because customs officials don't really believe that we would send
something for free).

For Breezy we are trying (not confirmed yet) to have different values on
the packages - i.e., 0 for the countries that want 0, something small
for countries that won't believe 0.  This cannot be done on an
individual order basis, but we may be able to make it happen on a
country basis.  If your country falls into the former category, please
let me know.  Please do your best to make sure this information is
reliable - maybe even go so far as to call someone and ask.  If you
simply assume that 0 would be better and we switch the process, it could
result in all shipments to your country being delayed.

For people who have had CD shipments stopped, see the question on

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/shipit

about taxes/duty.  It includes a link to a letter (in several languages)
that is able to be able to free up any CDs caught in customs.

Jane