Screen out of text mode on installation of xorg package

Rashad rashad at nakhchyvan.az
Fri Jul 28 14:03:33 BST 2006

I did install Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Toshiba A30 laptop using 'alternate' CD
in text mode.
Here are the explanation of problem:
When 'xorg' package prepares for install screen becomes blank and only white
square cursor is visible. I tried to install several times but with the same
problem.
Then I did notice the HDD led activity when I hit 'enter'. I decide that
installation process isn't crashed and did finish installation successfully
just blindly pressing 'enter' controlling HDD led activity. I think that
when 'xorg' package prepares for configuration/installation it tests video
and then cannot switch back to text mode or does it incorrectly.
The interesting thing is when I use Ubuntu Linux as live CD and after
installation it recognizes all devices correctly.
Notice that graphics mode installation using Ubuntu Desktop CD is very
unstable. Only one time I can go up to disk partitioning stage. Laptop
freezes and you have to reset the laptop.
Did anyone encounter the similar problem?