A program to display scancodes

Neil Hooey nhooey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 16:29:53 GMT 2006

Hello everyone,

I have written a small utility to display the scancodes of any keyboard keys that send them. After lengthy testing, it seems the "showkeys" program doesn't actually work properly, and sends some sort of codes .

This program reads directly from an event device, with code from Matthew Garrett that finds the keyboard device.

Although not stated explicitly as a dependency, you need dmidecode to find system information to dump to the file, and you need the evdev module loaded to get a keyboard device.

Right now, the program runs in a loop, asking you to press a key and choose which one it is, it then dumps the scancode and its description to a file, and asks you to email the results to Xandros. I made the package have Xandros names all over, since we put it into our build, but please feel free to modify it for your purposes.

The idea of this program is to get a list of what keys send which scancodes, so we can map the scancodes to keycodes in the hotkey-setup package in Debian. This will then enable users to have their weird laptop keys already mapped to keycodes when they install Linux and hotkey-setup, and they can use gnome or KDE to map the keycodes to whatever functionality they like.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

- Neil

--
Neil Hooey

Core OS Developer            neilh at xandros.com
Xandros                      613-842-3494 x336