Re: 35 LibreOffice related upgrades have been «deferred due to phasing». Why?

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Mon May 27 09:45:16 UTC 2024

Hey dear Aaron and others.

Op vr 24 mei 2024 om 21:06 schreef Aaron Rainbolt <arraybolt3 at gmail.com>:

> (Snip) ....

The 35 yet withheld upgrades are normal - it's just Ubuntu slowly rolling
> out an update rather than making it immediately available to everyone. That
> way if the update turns out to be broken despite testing, only some unlucky
> users find out first, rather than everyone's systems breaking at the same
> time.
>
> The bug report was about apt's messaging about phasing being unclear in
> the past. At first it would just say "The following updates have been held
> back" without saying why, and that confused a lot of people. Now it says
> "The following upgrades have been deferred due to phasing", which tells you
> more about what's happening.

(Snip)

Thanks for all your feedback. It's completely clear now. A whole bunch of
LibreOffice updates have been processed finally a few days ago. A few other
updates yesterday and this morning. Now, the whole system is up-to-date. As
far as I can see, the system of "deferred" and "held back" updates prevents
a lot of complications.

Yours.

Bas.