Re: 35 LibreOffice related upgrades have been «deferred due to phasing». Why?

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 19:06:04 UTC 2024

On 5/24/24 13:16, Bas G. Roufs wrote:
> [...]
> Get:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates InRelease
> [89,7 kB]
> Hit:3 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-backports InRelease
> Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-security InRelease [89,7
> kB]
> Get:5 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/main amd64
> Packages [77,1 kB]
> Get:6 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/main i386
> Packages [60,0 kB]
> Get:7 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/main
> Translation-en [20,9 kB]
> Get:8 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/universe i386
> Packages [17,3 kB]
> Get:9 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/universe amd64
> Packages [35,7 kB]
> Get:10 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates/universe
> Translation-en [12,6 kB]
> Get:11 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-security/main amd64
> Packages [32,2 kB]
> Get:12 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-security/main
> Translation-en [10,3 kB]
> Fetched 446 kB in 1s (646 kB/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> 35 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> Get another security update through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
>   libcjson1
> Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro
> The following upgrades have been deferred due to phasing:
>   dhcpcd-base fonts-opensymbol initramfs-tools initramfs-tools-bin
> initramfs-tools-core
>   libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common
> libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw
>   libreoffice-help-common libreoffice-help-nl libreoffice-impress
> libreoffice-kf5 libreoffice-l10n-nl
>   libreoffice-math libreoffice-plasma libreoffice-qt5
> libreoffice-style-breeze libreoffice-style-colibre
>   libreoffice-uiconfig-calc libreoffice-uiconfig-common
> libreoffice-uiconfig-draw
>   libreoffice-uiconfig-impress libreoffice-uiconfig-math
> libreoffice-uiconfig-writer libreoffice-writer
>   libuno-cppu3t64 libuno-cppuhelpergcc3-3t64
> libuno-purpenvhelpergcc3-3t64 libuno-sal3t64
>   libuno-salhelpergcc3-3t64 python3-uno uno-libs-private ure
> 0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 35 not to upgrade.
>
> Results are exactly the same - both at the attempt summarised in my
> both cases exactly the same.
>
> So, my question is now - have I been affected or NOT affected by bug
> #1988819? Info about the bug I refer to, is here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1988819?
>
> In other words: are those 35 yet withheld upgrades a normal
> phenomenon? Or is there any issue I need to look at?

The 35 yet withheld upgrades are normal - it's just Ubuntu slowly
rolling out an update rather than making it immediately available to
everyone. That way if the update turns out to be broken despite testing,
only some unlucky users find out first, rather than everyone's systems
breaking at the same time.

The bug report was about apt's messaging about phasing being unclear in
the past. At first it would just say "The following updates have been
held back" without saying why, and that confused a lot of people. Now it
says "The following upgrades have been deferred due to phasing", which
tells you more about what's happening.