Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not "see" it, laptop does not boot it.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 7 19:04:13 UTC 2018

Bas Roufs wrote:
> - I would try to boot from the stick on another machine to verify that
> it works there.
>
> *Have done so. Fruitlessly.*

Well, if it doesn't work on another machine, this is probably the reason
why. If the stick isn't really bootable, the BIOS will ignore it. As I
understand the description of the Ubuntu help page you mentioned in your
initial mail, it would create a bootable USB drive with the contents of
the ISO file, i.e. it replaces the DVD drive. (Sorry if this is wrong -
right now I really don't have the time to read and understand everything
on that page.)

I have done something different to carry several ISO files on a USB
stick and I can select which one to use at boot time. Some time ago I
have written about it on the Ubuntu users list:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2015-April/280372.html>
If that description wasn't good enough, please let me know what was
missing.

Nils