Kubuntu 18.04 ISO live USB: BIOS does not 'see' it, laptop does not boot it.

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Mon May 7 17:30:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 11:43 am, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>

> At present, I am working at a correctly functioning Lenovo X220 running
> at Kubuntu 18.04 LTS amd 64. The laptop has now one SSD of 128 GB at which
> the system is running. There is also a HD of 320 GB. Soon, I will replace
> that HD and buy this SSD:
> KingSpec P3-1TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD
>

> When I will acquire this one, I'll need a bootable usb stick with Kubuntu
>  18.04. Have tried several times to create it at a "Sandisk Ultra USB
> 3.0"
> with a view to running from there a "live" system, in order to test it.
> Have been using mkusb-dus OR startup-disk-creator to put the ISO at the
> stick. Have been using mkbus-dus to reconvert the stick to a fat32-mass
> storage device.
>
> All those tests seemingly work well, till I try to boot the laptop from
> the USB stick, The BIOS does not "see" it -  the laptop does not boot from
> it. By trying all this, I try to follow these guidelines:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Booting_the_Co
> mputer_from_USB
>
> Can anybody guide me towards some solution?
>

> Yours.
>

> Bas G. Roufs.
>

> --
>

> Bas G. Roufs

When powering on, hit the f12 key to bring up the boot menu, and see if it
shows up there.

Try different USB ports, and a different USB stick if you have one
available. I am finding many search results for "lenovo x220 boot from
usb" which seem to indicate it is a somewhat common problem. You do have
to make sure that you have the USB bios support enabled in your bios, or a
similar option, but seeing as you already have Kubuntu on your current
drive, I will guess that you booted from a USB stick for that install?

Also, I mentioned trying another stick, as a few of the reports mention
Sandisk sticks specifically, so they may be problematic. Some of them come
with hidden partitions for backup utilities, etc, and this may prevent
them from being bootable Linux discs.