Lets Drop Old Monitors

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 20 22:44:28 UTC 2018

On 07/20/2018 06:25 PM, Bill Vance wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, David Lang wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, Clay Weber wrote:
>>
>>> I have yet to see a distro that sets a good scale or dpi automagically.
>>
>> I will argue that it's impossible to set the scale/dpi automagically.
>>
>> is this HD screen a 24" screen 18" from your face, a 5" screen 3" from
>> your face (a VR headset), a 100" screen 20' from your face, etc?
>>
>> knowing the screen resolution, and screen physical size isn't enough,
>> you have to know the viewing distance to get something that's close to
>> appropriate (and from there allow additional tuning of the value for
>> personal preference)
>
> This is basically a, "System Settings", thing already, and
> unfortunately, the easy alternative method, (Ctrl Alt + or -),
> was not included in the current OS, only the one requiring a
> _LARGE_ magnifying glass on a fresh OS upgrade, just to see
> what's going on.  Then the same magnifying glass to attempt
> to get reasonable text/symbol sizes.  You might get it fairly
> close in one program, and in the next find that while some of
> it's ok, it's still screwed up in another program.  Fix that,
> and go back to find that doing so screwed the pooch on the
> first program, and who knows for the next, and the next, and
> on, and on, and on, and on.
>
> An individual item text, and symbol sizing method is the
> only reasonable cure.
>
> Bill

In this discussion, Micro$oft Window$ is held up as the standard to meet
and nobody seems to understand why Window$ drivers are so "easy and
versatile".
Well. Micro$oft offers to work with the hardware developers on their
drivers, so they get intimate knowledge of the hardware, both the video
cards and the monitors.  There is one catch, the vendor cannot provide
that information to anyone else.  Which is to say, no third party
drivers.  Micro$oft even has programmers to help the OEM with their
drivers when needed to tie them more closely into Micro$oft's products.

Open source developers must program drivers without no help from the OEM
vendors.  That is why M$ Windows works so well with all equipment.

Hope this help!

Charles T. Bell
--
“As his first step, he is always setting some war in motion, so that
people will be in need of a leader,” Plato explains. In fact, “it’s