Lets Drop Old Monitors

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Fri Jul 20 22:25:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, David Lang wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, Clay Weber wrote:
>
>> I have yet to see a distro that sets a good scale or dpi automagically.
>
> I will argue that it's impossible to set the scale/dpi automagically.
>
> is this HD screen a 24" screen 18" from your face, a 5" screen 3" from your
> face
> (a VR headset), a 100" screen 20' from your face, etc?
>
> knowing the screen resolution, and screen physical size isn't enough, you
> have
> to know the viewing distance to get something that's close to appropriate
> (and
> from there allow additional tuning of the value for personal preference)

This is basically a, "System Settings", thing already, and
unfortunately, the easy alternative method, (Ctrl Alt + or -),
was not included in the current OS, only the one requiring a
_LARGE_ magnifying glass on a fresh OS upgrade, just to see
what's going on.  Then the same magnifying glass to attempt
to get reasonable text/symbol sizes.  You might get it fairly
close in one program, and in the next find that while some of
it's ok, it's still screwed up in another program.  Fix that,
and go back to find that doing so screwed the pooch on the
first program, and who knows for the next, and the next, and
on, and on, and on, and on.

An individual item text, and symbol sizing method is the
only reasonable cure.

Bill