Can no longer run certain programs

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jul 2 17:56:51 UTC 2017

Mark Fraser wrote:
> Going to try this again.
>
> I am unable to run certain programs after upgrading to 17.04. For
> example if I try to run KDE Partition Manager or Kuser, my normal
> password doesn't work and I get
>
> Permission denied.
> Possibly incorrect password, please try again.
> On some systems, you need to be in a special group (often: wheel) to
> use this program.
>
> Looking at /var/log/auth.log I see this.
>
> Jul  2 14:38:08 Rachael sudo: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_winbind.so):
> /lib/ security/pam_winbind.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

This time it looks like a useful error message to me - with your

apt-file search pam_winbind.so
libpam-winbind: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_winbind.so

So it seems like you are missing the "libpam-winbind" package. If
installing that package fixes the problem, you might file a bug report
for the partition manager and / or kuser about a missing dependency.

Nils