Can no longer run certain programs

Mark Fraser mfraz74+ubuntu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 18:06:12 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 2 July 2017 18:56:51 BST Nils Kassube wrote:
> Mark Fraser wrote:
> > Going to try this again.
> >
> > I am unable to run certain programs after upgrading to 17.04. For
> > example if I try to run KDE Partition Manager or Kuser, my normal
> > password doesn't work and I get
> >
> > Permission denied.
> > Possibly incorrect password, please try again.
> > On some systems, you need to be in a special group (often: wheel) to
> > use this program.
> >
> > Looking at /var/log/auth.log I see this.
> >
> > Jul  2 14:38:08 Rachael sudo: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_winbind.so):
> > /lib/ security/pam_winbind.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> > such file or directory
>
> This time it looks like a useful error message to me - with your
>
> apt-file search pam_winbind.so
> libpam-winbind: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_winbind.so
>
> So it seems like you are missing the "libpam-winbind" package. If
> installing that package fixes the problem, you might file a bug report
> for the partition manager and / or kuser about a missing dependency.

apt-cache policy libpam-winbind
libpam-winbind:
  Installed: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2
  Candidate: 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2
  Version table:
 *** 2:4.5.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.17.04.2 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-updates/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-security/main amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:4.5.4+dfsg-1ubuntu2 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages

I have even tried reinstalling the package. I have done a Google search for
the error message, but they all refer to samba.