Time Problems in Kubuntu 16.04 and 16.10

Chris Luck chris at bvhg.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 22:30:25 UTC 2016

On 24/10/16 11:20, Nils Kassube wrote:
> David Corkrey Sr. wrote:
>> After a reboot into Windows 10, the time displayed in Windows was 4
>> hours off (later). This did not occur with Kubuntu 14.04 LTS.
>
> Windows expects the hardware clock to be set to your local time and i
> think Kubuntu now defaults to the hardware clock using UTC. You can
> check the file "/etc/default/rcS" - if there is a line
>
> UTC=yes
>
> the hardware clock is set to UTC. If you change it to
>
> UTC=no
>
> Kubuntu will use local time like Windows does and there shouldn't be
> a difference between the operating systems.

In my case it was just 1 hour difference (UTC -> British Summer Time).
A minor niggle that only shows for 6 months each year - but puzzling.

With 16.04 the file "/etc/default/rcS" is still there though the line
UTC was not.  In 16.10 the file is entirely absent.  I added the line
UTC=no in 16.04, and created the file in 16.10.  This had the desired
effect in each case, the only additional change required being to
manually reset the Windows setting.  After that, swapping between the
two OS's gives consistent times.

I'm typing this at 11.30pm on the last Saturday in October - which means
the clocks go back 1 hour at 2.00am (BST) tomorrow morning.  A timely
opportunity to test the automatic time setting.

Thanks for the info.

--
Regards,
Chris Luck