Time Problems in Kubuntu 16.04 and 16.10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Oct 24 10:20:03 UTC 2016

David Corkrey Sr. wrote:
> I have a dual boot Lenovo Flex 3 with Windows 10 and a flavor of
> Kubuntu. When I had 16.04 and later 16.10 installed (both from clean
> installs), the time displayed in the status and elsewhere appeared to
> be correct. After a reboot into Windows 10, the time displayed in
> Windows was 4 hours off (later). This did not occur with Kubuntu
> 14.04 LTS.

> I have all settings on Eastern Time for Canada.

I think your time zone has a difference of 4 hours to UTC. Windows
expects the hardware clock to be set to your local time and i think
Kubuntu now defaults to the hardware clock using UTC. You can check the
file "/etc/default/rcS" - if there is a line

UTC=yes

the hardware clock is set to UTC. If you change it to

UTC=no

Kubuntu will use local time like Windows does and there shouldn't be a
difference between the operating systems. Only at the start and end of
daylight saving time probably both OSes will change the hardware clock
once.

Nils