Question about boottime kubuntu 14.04 and 16.04

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat May 14 15:14:44 UTC 2016

On 14/05/2016 17:02, bmarsh at bmarsh.com wrote:

>> On May 14, 2016, at 10:28 AM, anton <antonxx at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did the following test:
>> on my kubuntu 14.04 (64bit) I used Virtual Box 4.3.36 to
>> create two virtual machines:
>>
>> 1. One with Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
>> 2. One with Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
>>
>> Now I start the kubuntu 14.04 VM and habe the following timings +-2sec
>> because I look on my watch:
>>
>> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 18 sec
>> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 15 sec
>> After a second try I get:
>> 1. ... 21 sec
>> 2. ... 14 sec
>>
>> Now I do the same test with kubuntu 16.04:
>>
>> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 24 sec
>> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 23 sec
>> After a second try I get:
>> 1. ... 25 sec
>> 2. ... 20 sec
>>
>> So I get the foolowing sums:
>>
>> Kubuntu 14.04
>> 1. 33 s =  18 s + 15 s
>> 2. 35 s =  21 s + 14 s
>>
>> Kubuntu 16.04
>> 1. 47 s =  24 s + 23 s
>> 2. 45 s =  25 s + 20 s
>>

>> OK, while these values are not soo precise there
>> is a clear trand that kubuntu 16.04 seems to be slower on bootup,
>> and on the login part.
>>
>> My questions:
>> - do you observe similar values on your machines?
>> - is the Virtual Box faking me?
>> - is the login part slower due to plasma5 (Kde5 = qt5?)
>>   or the use of QML? (I don't know what plasma 5 is really working)?
>>

> And my question is:   Why does it matter??   I might boot my machine once a month or so...   Even a minutes difference wouldn't make a hill-a-beans!
>
> But I'm not sure your virtual runs are accurate...  I'm running 16.04 64bit and it seems a lot faster.
>
> It has always boggled my mind why people are so concerned about "boot time".

Not everyone can keep their computers on for ages. For me it is
powercuts, internet goes down on and off, KWin starts chewing RAM and so
on.

For me: have tried 16.04 around 4 times now. On 2 computers. Some or
other thing goes wrong on every install. One boot on new laptop wireless
is not on. On old laptop I get black screen.

Have also tried Manjaro. Same thing. There is something in the whole
Plasma 5 thing that is unstable.

For now I hang on to old KDE4