Question about boottime kubuntu 14.04 and 16.04

bmarsh at bmarsh.com bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat May 14 15:02:05 UTC 2016

> On May 14, 2016, at 10:28 AM, anton <antonxx at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did the following test:
> on my kubuntu 14.04 (64bit) I used Virtual Box 4.3.36 to
> create two virtual machines:
>
> 1. One with Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
> 2. One with Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
>
> Now I start the kubuntu 14.04 VM and habe the following timings +-2sec
> because I look on my watch:
>
> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 18 sec
> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 15 sec
> After a second try I get:
> 1. ... 21 sec
> 2. ... 14 sec
>
> Now I do the same test with kubuntu 16.04:
>
> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 24 sec
> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 23 sec
> After a second try I get:
> 1. ... 25 sec
> 2. ... 20 sec
>
> So I get the foolowing sums:
>
> Kubuntu 14.04
> 1. 33 s =  18 s + 15 s
> 2. 35 s =  21 s + 14 s
>
> Kubuntu 16.04
> 1. 47 s =  24 s + 23 s
> 2. 45 s =  25 s + 20 s
>

> OK, while these values are not soo precise there
> is a clear trand that kubuntu 16.04 seems to be slower on bootup,
> and on the login part.
>
> My questions:
> - do you observe similar values on your machines?
> - is the Virtual Box faking me?
> - is the login part slower due to plasma5 (Kde5 = qt5?)
>   or the use of QML? (I don't know what plasma 5 is really working)?

And my question is:   Why does it matter??   I might boot my machine once a month or so...   Even a minutes difference wouldn't make a hill-a-beans!

But I'm not sure your virtual runs are accurate...  I'm running 16.04 64bit and it seems a lot faster.

It has always boggled my mind why people are so concerned about "boot time".