Question about boottime kubuntu 14.04 and 16.04

anton antonxx at gmx.de
Sat May 14 14:28:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

I did the following test:
on my kubuntu 14.04 (64bit) I used Virtual Box 4.3.36 to
create two virtual machines:

1. One with Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
2. One with Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)

Now I start the kubuntu 14.04 VM and habe the following timings +-2sec
because I look on my watch:

1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 18 sec
2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 15 sec
After a second try I get:
1. ... 21 sec
2. ... 14 sec

Now I do the same test with kubuntu 16.04:

1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 24 sec
2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 23 sec
After a second try I get:
1. ... 25 sec
2. ... 20 sec

So I get the foolowing sums:

Kubuntu 14.04
1. 33 s =  18 s + 15 s
2. 35 s =  21 s + 14 s

Kubuntu 16.04
1. 47 s =  24 s + 23 s
2. 45 s =  25 s + 20 s

OK, while these values are not soo precise there
is a clear trand that kubuntu 16.04 seems to be slower on bootup,
and on the login part.

My questions:
 - do you observe similar values on your machines?
 - is the Virtual Box faking me?
 - is the login part slower due to plasma5 (Kde5 = qt5?)
   or the use of QML? (I don't know what plasma 5 is really working)?

Thanks for a hint

 Anton