Second Hard Drive issue

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat May 14 00:05:10 UTC 2016

On Friday 13 May 2016 14:22:43 Billie Walsh wrote:

> fstab reads
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
> # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
> devices # that works even if disks are added and removed. See
> fstab(5). #
> # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
> UUID=2ac05446-9d15-4b63-8bc0-df4e05a70644 /               ext4
> errors=remount-ro 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
> UUID=d0ae8325-da93-4221-a089-4260762971f6 none            swap
> sw              0       0
> #second hard drive
> UUID=5ec13406-3b24-42a6-be83-89871af43dee Billie0W ext2 auto 0 0
>

> Should I add a "/" after Billie0W?

No.  If dolphin finds it in /media/Billie0W, put that in your /etc/fstab
as a first step.  Hint, all pathlists in the *nix world start with a
slash, which is the top most anchor point. In your case, if you do an

ls -l /

You will probably see a /media in the listing, but not an /mnt, so first
do an

ls -l /media to see if it exists there, and if notso as root, do a

mkdir /media/Billie0W

just to make sure that mount point exists and is not a figment of
dolphins imagination, just one of the reasons this old timer uses mc to
do what you are doing with dolphin.

And unless that 2nd drive is 15 years old, it probably is not an ext2
file system, but ext3, possibly even ext4, all of which are considerably
more robust a file system than ext2 is. So if it works for ext2, jump to
ext4 and work backwards until it mounts without fussing about the
miss-match.  There are tools to convert from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4
available but I've not used them in yonks and my memory fades with the
years as the wet ram is now 81 yo, so I'll let someone else instruct on
the finer points of those tool usages.

> --
> Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
> You must learn to be slow in a hurry.
> -Wyatt Earp-

Something I've tried to practice myself, its a huge help on handgun
accuracy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)