16.04 w/o KDE PIM?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:28:03 UTC 2016

On 04/03/2016 16:13, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Maybe you should go back to 14.04 then, because 14.10 reached its EOL
> and its repositories are no longer available.
> I didn't go beyond 14.10 either, because I did not want to go to plasma
> 5 so early after all I read about it being incomplete and not completely
> functional. I think I got traumatized when I switched to KDE 4 right
> after it was made available. However, now I'm running 14.04 again,
> because I couldn't install anything from the repos in 14.10 anymore...
>
> []'s
> Marcelo

> <mailto:o.sinclair at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 04/03/2016 13:33, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>     > To tell the truth, KDEPIM is broken since the first 4.x version. It used
>     > to work so well in KDE 3.5.x, but after the "akonadified" KDEPIM 4,
>     > nothing is reliable as it used to be anymore.
>     > I've been fighting all this time to find a way through all the many
>     > bugs, crashes and freezes of KMail because I've been unable to find
>     > another mail client that can be configured to do all the things KMail
>     > does (or did) and I was always hopeful that things would get better with
>     > time, but I'm really tired of all this and in the last few months I've
>     > been seriously considering to switch to another mail client. I found no
>     > other client that is so resourceful as KMail once was, but it is more
>     > important to me that it is reliable and fast. KMail really hasn't been
>     > either for a long time and I should have abandoned it long ago.
>     > If Kubuntu does not ship KDEPIM anymore, it will be just the little push
>     > I needed to make the change, and I will wecome that. I think KDE as a
>     > whole will behave better without KDEPIM.
>     >

>     Well I don't quite agree. I have very few problems using the 4.14.3
>     version. I get the odd duplicate email (something to do with filters).
>     To me it is not broken but perhaps the Plasma5 version is. In any case I
>     will stay on 14.10 for now. I have tried 15.04 and it simply crashed.
>     Have also toyed around w Manjaro (rolling) but just get irritated after
>     a while as so many things I am used to does not seem to work in P5.
>
>     In any case, I will wait and see. To me functionality is more important
>     than "new and shiny". If 16.04 comes with no KDEPIM I will either sit it
>     out on 14.10 or look for another distro
>
>     --
Well the repos are available if you look around a bit. Am using sunet
Sweden repos though I am very far away from Sweden. But of course
upgrades are not many though I cheat a bit by putting some (eg
Libreoffice) repos to the LTS version. So far very few problems, I have
like 6 packages that refuse to upgrade. Can live with that. Am on
Libreoffice 5.1, latest Chrome and so on. Using kernel 4.4 via mainline
kernel ppa. All in all I say I am good - just irritated that any attempt
to upgrade to Plasma 5 seems to go bonkers and that Kubuntu seems to be
heading somewhere I am not sure I like. Like 15.10 insisting my /home is
ext2 when it is ext4...

Am very happy I use CloneZilla - reverting takes about 5 minutes