Strange behaviour from Xenial installer

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:02:06 UTC 2016

On 24/08/2016 09:34, Girard Henri wrote:
> I always make a swap partition and / partition.
>
> For years I never had a problem : simple quick and efficient.
>
> I remenber the old days where people said a lot of partition but that
> was good because hdd was not big !
>

> Le 23/08/2016 à 20:08, Nils Kassube a écrit :
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> I am close to giving up. For whatever reason the upgrade route via
>>> 15.04 and so on always crashes. Decided to fresh 16.04.1 install.
>>>
>>> I have separate / and /home partitions, both ext4. Here comes the
>>> problem: the installer insist that my /home is ext2 and whatever I set
>>> it to wants to format it. No thank you...
>> I would install without the separate /home partition. Then there is a
>> /home in the / partition (which is needed anyway as a mount point).
>> After the install is completed you could then write your own fstab entry
>> for the separate /home partition.
>>

>> Nils

For anyone facing the same scenario: Nils solution worked though it is
not totally uncomplicated. And should not be needed... I tried Manjaro
just to see and there were no problems with seeing the /home as ext4. If
Manjaro had not killed my wireless that might have meant a move...

I still don't get how the kde partition manager can see that it is ext4
but the installer insist it is ext2. For the record I tried 14.04 too
and it has no problems either.

And please don't ask me to file a bug - for starters I do not even want
to reproduce it.

Kind regards, Sinclair