upgrade to xenial fails: missing ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt package

John Reid owlman.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:14:36 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Hopefully mostly just a for your information. I just tried updating to
xenial from wily, but the install failed silently after popping up the
kdesudo dialog.

Running kdesudo -c "do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE"
from konsole gives the error: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file
or directory: '/usr/share/ubuntu-release-upgrader/fetch-progress.ui'

This file belongs to the ubuntu-release-upgrader-qt package, which is
not installed on this computer. However it is installed on both my other
wily boxes. So I have no idea why it is not present on this one...

Is this worth debugging further to see why the package is not installed,
just in case other people have the same problem?

Cheers,
John