Desktop Weather

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Apr 4 06:36:55 UTC 2016

On 04/03/2016 06:19 PM, Richard Barmann wrote:

> On 04/03/2016 07:03 PM, bmarsh at bmarsh.com wrote:
>> I have it running on 16.04.      Put in your town. Or find the code
>> for your local airport.
>>
>>> On Apr 3, 2016, at 6:41 PM, Richard Barmann <reb at barmannsbar.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Kubuntu 16.04 running and I really like it. I am trying to
>>> set up the Widget for desktop weather. Can I do that or should I
>>> wait until the release? What would be the recommended weather to use?
>>> Thanks for all the help. I learned a lot from this forum. If only I
>>> can remember it.
>>> Dick Barmann
>>>
>>> --
>> When I go to the colunm of Widgets below "Newpaper" and go to the
>> bottom Im double click on the weather. I get a small square with a
>> Red square with an X in it. Thats as far as I get. I do get the drop
>> down to Add Widgets/Activities/Leave etc.
> What am I doing wrong?
> Dick Barma

I like the app from the National Weather Service. There seems to be a
version for every place there's a weather station, like an airport. I'm
on Long Island,
and only a few miles from the Brookhaven airport, which is rather small,
but has its own weather station. I narrowed down the location, and made
an icon
(or widget--I think it's an icon in my system) on the screen. Here's the
version that I use:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=225&y=163&site=okx&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=225&map_y=163#.VwIKS7NpU0R

You should be able to find one not far from wherever you are, as long as
you're in the United States.

--doug