About updating to latest newest version - my thoughts

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:42:11 UTC 2015

Dear all,

from my point of view Plasma/KDE5 is not mature enough for production
use. That is how I see it and feel free to disagree.

I have one computer and I use to make a living. There is a degree to how
much I can surrender a working stable environment to "new and shiny".

This is not meant as an offense to the developers who have spent
countless hours on the "5" environment.

What I dont get/understand is how many just seem to jump on to this
upgrade and did not expect serious breakages? Then go on to use XCFE or
Lubuntu instead of, to me, simply staying where you are?

Use 14.04 or 14.10. If you want a newer kernel go mainline kernel ppa
(as I type this I am on kernel 4.1.rc2), for graphics there are several
ppa for Libreoffice again the same.

If you choose to go Plasma5 then EXPECT breakages and lack of functions.
It is still in development (sorry devs but that is the truth) and you
are likely to hit snags for at least 2 releases of Kubuntu.

With lots of respect to Kubuntu maintainers and developers,
Sinclair