Kubuntu 14.10 end of life

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 05:51:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:25:44 +0200, Jörn Schönyan wrote:
>all the discussions, complaints and rants about Plasma 5 are totally
>annoying. All distros are switching to Plasma 5

But not all desktop environments switch to Plasma 5, they even don't
switch to Qt 5. Since GNOME and KDE developers run berserk, a lot of
users nowadays install forks or completely drop desktop environments
and use old faithful window managers.

>If you have problems, report bugs and help to fix them.

No, don't waste your time to file a bug report against unusable desktop
environments, drop crappy desktop environments and use a sane desktop
environment or window manager, that doesn't break professional work
flows again and again and again.

Nobody would consider to use such a pot:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things_%28cover_1988%29.jpg
So why should we use desktop environments that are wrong by (the)
design?

There are different designs for pots and there are different approaches
for desktop environments, but every design and approach needs to
provide usability, reliability, functionality that doesn't break.

For some users the computer seems to be a toy as an end in itself, so
they like to spend their time with crappy desktop environments.
For other users the computer is a tool, that always should be usable.
Usable as a sane designed pot, were the spout and handle aren't on the
same site.

0,02€,
Ralf