copy files to external HDD

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Mon Jan 12 13:26:14 UTC 2015

On 01/12/2015 04:18 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good evening
> I am trying to copy some of the folders in my "home directory" to an
> external HDD.
> Though not with those incomprehensible terminal commands ...
>
> I select the folders I want to back up (copy), choose the destination
> and then select "paste".
> However, only a very small portion of the folders / files are actually
> copied.
> And I get 10 million times the question, whether I want to overwrite or
> skip exisiting files
> IN SPITE OF marking the little checkbox "apply to all".
>
> Can somebody please explain, why copying a few files has to be such an
> ordeal?
> And is there a way to convince the computer to do as told?
> That would be really helpful.
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas

Are you using Dolphin as your file manager?

If you are there is an icon to split the screen. Split the screen. Have
your home folder on one side and the external drive you want use on the
other. Highlight the folders/files you want to move and drag to the
other side. Select either "Move" or "Copy" in the pop up box.

If your moving a large number of files, not folders, do it in small
stages. Bug, or whatever, there seems to be a limit on how much you can
move at one time. Folders get created first then the files start to
move. When some arbitrary limit is reached the file moving stops.
Usually best to just do one or two folders at a time depending on how
many files are in each.

In the skip/overwrite box there is an option to do all or singly.

--
“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.” - Joan Rivers