copy files to external HDD

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 13 10:12:47 UTC 2015

On Monday, January 12, 2015 10:52:52 PM O. Sinclair did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 12/01/2015 17:28, Felix Miata wrote:
> > A.J. Bonnema composed on 2015-01-12 12:18 (UTC+0100):
> >> like the old Norton Commander (an old windows program that probably
> >> doesn't exist anymore).
> >
> > Norton Commander was born of DOS in 1986.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Commander
>
> If you like(d) Norton Commander you can install Krusader that has much
> of the same layout

I just last week encountered another problem while giving krusader
another chance at doing its job, but it managed to crew the moose, in
copying a few gigabytes of data from an old drive to a new wheezy
install, it changed all the file ownerships and attributes to what it
thought were correct.  But they weren't, I had to go thru about 2 hours
worth of running down and fixing those damages.

Going back to the not near as pretty since its an ncurses interface, but
much more capable mc, aka Midnight Commander, I had no such problems.
Attributes and ownerships were preserved.  Mc was I think, written
originally to out Norton the Norton Commander. It was part of my original
Red Hat 5.0 install in 1998.

My $0.02, based on nearly 17 years of being a linux fan?

Krusader is pleasing eye candy, but its still as broken now as it was in
2010 when I first met it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)