blank panel and no right-click menu

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Dec 15 01:14:24 UTC 2015

This morning when I plugged my laptop into my office monitors, it didn't detect
them and start using them (not unusual), I ran systemsettings5 to reconfigure
the monitors and they showed up, except that the panel ended up on the wrong
monitor, and no matter what option I picked, it wouldn't move to the correct
one.

So I updated everything and rebooted, but after the reboot I can't get the panel
to show anything, and I can't get the right-click menu on the background to come
up.

I did a lot of googling, deleted ~/.cache, ~/.config/plasma* ~/.config/k*,
rebooted many times with no success.

alt+f2 does bring up the ability to run apps/programs, and the system works well
otherwise.

starting plasmashell manually gives me:

$ plasmashell
kscreen: launcherDataAvailable: "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR"
kscreen: Launcher finished with exit code 1 , status 0
kscreen: Service for requested backend already running
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 99 , Name: "eDP1" ) (
"eDP1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 99 , Name: "eDP1" ) ( "eDP1" )
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
Containment graphic object not valid
Containment graphic object not valid
Containment graphic object not valid
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 99 , Name: "eDP1" ) (
"eDP1" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 99 , Name: "eDP1" ) ( "eDP1" )
Containment graphic object not valid

how can I fix this?

David Lang