Kubuntu backports or CI

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 13:20:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been using Kubuntu for a very long time now and was always happy to
find freshly baked binaries that followed KDE development at a close pace
in backports. Lately it seems kde-backports did not (yet) catch up on KDE's
release of e.g. Frameworks 5.16.0 or Applications 15.08.3?

The main reason for using Kubuntu was the ease of debian package management
and the ease of upgrading when KDE released new versions.

Is the lack of backports to Wily collateral damage of the Jonathan Ridell
stepping down? Or, do I need to look closer at CI?
If so, I find the CI documentation a bit rough on the edges, since the only
wiki page I find:

https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/PPAs#Kubuntu_Continuous_Integration_.28CI.29

mentions Weekly Snapshot, Daily Snapshot and Live but the PPA's they point
to are either empty or contain packages built against git versions, while I
am looking for stable release builds (fka backports).

Can anybody shed some light on this backports/update spaghetti and tell me
if there are plans to get backports back to what it used to be or where to
start with CI? Is there a CI setup, that resembles what I experienced using
backports?

Best regards,
Martin
--
If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator