Upgrade Question

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Wed Apr 29 14:05:07 UTC 2015

On April 29, 2015 4:03:04 AM EDT, Bill Vance <kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Apr 2015, Clay Weber wrote:
>
>> On April 26, 2015 2:27:19 PM EDT, Bill Vance
><kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm finding 14.04 to be less and less satisfactory as I go
>>> along.  It's as if someone did a study on everything I do,
>>> and how I do it, and then surgically removed them from the
>>> distro.
>>>
>>> So, my question is this:  Can I upgrade to 14.04, but dump
>>> the latest garbage and keep/re-install kde 4.8.5?
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> If you mean upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04, and keep the old kde 4.8.5
>from 12.04, well.......
>>
>> no.
>> --
>> Clay Weber
>
>In that case, are the newer upgrades following the same
>patern as 14.04?  I'm refering to the same radical
>dis-functionalities here, like requiring that I go into
>system settings with a virtually illegible screen
>resolution, in order to set the resolution to something
>readable, for every stinking re-boot, instead of just
>being able to three-key it, (Ctrl-Alt- + or -)?

As far as I remember, that went away when kernel mode switching became the default, which iirc most distros do today.

I don't know if disabling kms will bring the zooming function of xorg back, and it might allow a custom res to stick. Though you might still need a custom xorg.conf or xrandr script. I really don't know.

>They did the right thing when it came to the choice
>between old or new style menuing, Why did they get
>stupid when not allowing the same new/old choice for
>switching between desktops?
>
>If I'm informed that the newer versions are avoiding
>mistakes like this, I'll check them out, otherwise I'll
>be checking out other distros entirely.
>
>Bill

It might well be worth checking out others to find what fits your needs.  In this particular case I suspect you may find things very similar across distros.

--
Clay Weber