Upgrade Question

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Wed Apr 29 08:03:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015, Clay Weber wrote:

> On April 26, 2015 2:27:19 PM EDT, Bill Vance <kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm finding 14.04 to be less and less satisfactory as I go
>> along.  It's as if someone did a study on everything I do,
>> and how I do it, and then surgically removed them from the
>> distro.
>>
>> So, my question is this:  Can I upgrade to 14.04, but dump
>> the latest garbage and keep/re-install kde 4.8.5?
>>
>> Bill
>
> If you mean upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04, and keep the old kde 4.8.5 from 12.04, well.......
>
> no.
> --
> Clay Weber

In that case, are the newer upgrades following the same
patern as 14.04?  I'm refering to the same radical
dis-functionalities here, like requiring that I go into
system settings with a virtually illegible screen
resolution, in order to set the resolution to something
readable, for every stinking re-boot, instead of just
being able to three-key it, (Ctrl-Alt- + or -)?

They did the right thing when it came to the choice
between old or new style menuing, Why did they get
stupid when not allowing the same new/old choice for
switching between desktops?

If I'm informed that the newer versions are avoiding
mistakes like this, I'll check them out, otherwise I'll
be checking out other distros entirely.

Bill