Kgpg problems

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 04:20:38 UTC 2014

On 22/07/2014 03:00, support wrote:
> Sinclair,
>
> My advice would be just stick with gnupg (files) and enigmail
> (email). Seahorse is deprecated / not maintained but actually still
> works fine too if you want GUI based key management features of any
> kind.  Its pretty much fine.
>
> Nate
>

> On 20/07/2014 20:30, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Friends,
>>
>> being on 14.04 I have since somewhere in 2007 sometimes used
>> (k)gpg to sign files and the odd email.
>>
>> I admit it is not very often and when I now read of someone
>> having issues with kpgp I discovered that I too had serious
>> issues.
>>
>> On starting the program it could not find or import my keyrings
>> and I eventually had to delete my .conf file and reimport the
>> original version of my key files. That I luckily have kept all
>> these years...
>>
>> Kgpg was still complaining that it could not import the files but
>> DID import them.
>>
>> I am not too overly impressed... for those who do use it I think
>> it is pretty important that it actually DOES work when you want
>> to use it?

Well, in this case gnupg commmand line also had problems and kgpg is
depending on it. What went wrong I have no idea, as I wrote I had to
delete the gnupg.conf file twice and reimport my keypair before things
started working again.

Kgpg is "just" a gui for gnupg. As for enigmail I use it for
thunderbird just as I use Kleopatra for Kmail. Yes I use both mail
clients in order to separate work mail and other mail