Why Does 14.04 Hate AMD?

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Fri Aug 15 04:19:59 UTC 2014

Ok Tom, I'll start it off.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Nils Kassube wrote:

>> Bill vance wrote:
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> So, night before last, I started getting,
>> "14.04 is here", notices, so I decided to
>> give it a try, and see if it fixed the problem.
>> After a while of downloading files, it was
>> re-boot time.  So just a little ways into the
>> boot, it suddenly goes, "dead screen", and
>> locks up.  Not to be discouraged, next day
>> I go to the local computer shop, and get a
>> 14.04 disc, and surprise, surprise, it doesn't
>> even get to the setups, when it too goes dead,
>>the same way.
>>
>> So, after re-installing 12.04.4 everythings
>> working again.  Never did figure out what was
>> wrong.
>>
>> And, unless it just doesn't like AMD processors,
>> it looks like 14.04 has a nasty boot-up bug.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Bill,
> We should start a new Subject for this.  I also
> installed/upgraded to 14.04 on my AMD64 desktop and
> had similar problems.  It would lock up every day
> and sometimes twice in one day.
> I persevered and finally it is now working without
> having me reboot using my "red button".  I don't
> know if it is fixed or not.  I did have to reload
> phonon to get Grandfatherclock to work, but that
> is the only other problem I have found so far.
> I was originally afraid that my memory was going
> bad, but that is not the case.
> So, how did they fix it?  I haven't a clue.
> Good luck with yours!

Well, 14.04 seems to like my AMD Sempron 2000+
even less, as it won't even let it boot, whether
it's a download upgrade or a install disk.

I think we need to get everyone together and
shake our collective fingers at the developers,
while chanting, "Shame on you!! Shame on you!!",
over and over again.....:-)

Bill