Still 100% CPU when using Kontact.

basroufs at gmail.com basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 22:57:24 UTC 2013

Dear Everybody

> This mail I cannot send from Kontact, because the usage of CPU is still 100%
> when using that PIM. Any clue how to use Kontact with less CPU consumption?

Now, I am using Kontact while writing this mail. I can add one thing to my
message of yesterday - see above. The only 'workaround' I have found so far,
is giving the system time to 'file index' while I avoid multitasking as much as
possible.  With 'file index' I mean in this context: SYSTEM SETTINGS > Desktop
Search > Nepomuk server configuration > tab 'Basic settings'. When I need to
file index or to prepare Kontact for a working session, I 'check' the three
boxes of the tab 'Basic Settings'. As soon as I do so, the CPU consumption
skyrockets from about 30% till about 100%. As a matter of consequence,
multitasking is nearly impossible until I UNcheck again the 3 boxes of the
'Basic Settings' tab in 'Desktop Search' - or, until I 'suspend file indexing'.

In the first 15 - 30 minutes after starting to file index, writing an e-mail
from Kontact is simply impossible. After those 15 to 30 minutes, I do manage
to write this e-mail: however, while taking care NOT to use Firefox and/ or
other CPU consuming stuff.

I would appreciate feedback and ideas with a view to handle the problem
summarised here in a more effective way.  Thanks,

Bas G. Roufs.