Kubuntu backports incompatible with HWE stack for 12.04.3 LTS?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Sep 7 10:15:59 UTC 2013

Richard Foltyn wrote:
> I am trying to install the updated Raring HWE stack on 12.04 LTS,

> I also have the kubuntu-backports PPA enabled since I want to run KDE
> 4.11:

> However, when I run
>
> apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-raring
> xserver-xorg-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring
>
> I get the result that
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kde-window-manager kde-workspace ..
>
> which is not what I want. The same happens for the Quantal HWE stack.
> Is there a way to install the HWE stack and backported KDE on the same
> machine?

The question is why you need the HWE stack. If it is for the xserver you
will obviously need the xserver packages and I can't help you any
further. But if you only need the newer kernel you can install the
linux-generic-lts-raring package without the the xserver and libgl1
packages. That does work without removing the KDE packages from the
backports ppa.

Nils