Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 12:35:24 UTC 2013

On 10/27/2013 02:01 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 27/10/13 11:12, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 10/27/2013 11:55 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>>> Hi Bruce,

>>> Just keep in mind that a backup is meant to keep your data secure,
>>> making a backup partition on the same hard drive will not protect you
>>> from a hardware failure and makes the whole backup useless. Backups
>>> should be done on a different physical media, else it has no point at
>>> all.
>>>

>>> Regards, Myriam
>>>
>> I agree 100 on that. I have been reading this thread with some
>> interest though to me it seems a bit "overkill" configuration. But to
>> keep a backup on same disk will only save you if you mess up your
>> config/data, not if the disk has a breakdown. I have been there
>> (stolen laptop actually) and boy was I happy to have vital data on a
>> usb harddrive.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sinclair
>>

> Absolutely spot on. Which is why I always have 2 HDDs in the computer
> and the second HDD contains the Data partition containing the folders
> which are symlinked from /home which is on the first HDD.
>
> And to be even more paranoid, all my HDDs are in mobile racks. When I go
> interstate the HDDs are removed and are locked away in a safe. Also go
> into the safe are the USB devices (flash discs and external HDDs)
> containing the backups. The safe is burglar proof, fire proof and
> immovable.

well that became a bit off topic, right ;-)
for my part I use laptop so second HDD is a no-go. And a safe is more
than I care to invest in at this moment in life. But I always do a
backup of data (luckybackup works really well) and keep an updated image
(Remastersys) of my setup on 2 separate USB flash. One goes with me, one
stays home.