Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD for optimal, smooth Kontakt & Akonadi

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 27 12:01:19 UTC 2013

On 27/10/13 11:12, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 10/27/2013 11:55 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at bmarsh.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I would create two.   One for normal use and one as a backup...
>>> Then use the
>>> backup to back up your home before switching to a new system.
>>
>> Just keep in mind that a backup is meant to keep your data secure,
>> making a backup partition on the same hard drive will not protect you
>> from a hardware failure and makes the whole backup useless. Backups
>> should be done on a different physical media, else it has no point at
>> all.
>>

>> Regards, Myriam
>>
> I agree 100 on that. I have been reading this thread with some
> interest though to me it seems a bit "overkill" configuration. But to
> keep a backup on same disk will only save you if you mess up your
> config/data, not if the disk has a breakdown. I have been there
> (stolen laptop actually) and boy was I happy to have vital data on a
> usb harddrive.
>
> Regards,
> Sinclair

Absolutely spot on. Which is why I always have 2 HDDs in the computer
and the second HDD contains the Data partition containing the folders
which are symlinked from /home which is on the first HDD.

And to be even more paranoid, all my HDDs are in mobile racks. When I go
interstate the HDDs are removed and are locked away in a safe. Also go
into the safe are the USB devices (flash discs and external HDDs)
containing the backups. The safe is burglar proof, fire proof and immovable.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor