LibreOffice UK thesaurus _part 2

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 19 03:02:12 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 11:01 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 18/10/13 18:04, Phil wrote:
>> Thank you for reading this.
>>
>> I migrated from another Linux distribution to Kubuntu about two years
>> ago and since then I have been unable to get the UK thesaurus going.
>> In other words the thesaurus is greyed out under the tools ->
>> languages menu.
>>
>> I have installed the UK thesaurus using the extension manager and it's
>> listed under "Writing aids" as "OpenOffice.org New Thesaurus". I've
>> search the Internet for an answer and I see that many people have
>> asked the same question.
>>
>> The thesaurus used to work under my previous Linux installation and it
>> does work under Kubuntu if I set the language to "English US"
>>
>> I was hoping that the 13.10 release might solve the problem. Can
>> anyone offer any help?
>>

> Your language should be set/checked in a couple of places:
>
> * System Settings - Locale where you set the location (eg Australia); and
>
> * move the default Language from the left pane to the right pane.
>
> Also, in LibreOffice under Language Settings make sure that you have the
> correct language set.

I have an old laptop with Xubuntu installed on it and I now have
Libreoffice installed on it as well. The thesaurus is displayed with the
following settings:

User interface:			 Default - English (USA)
Locale settings:		 English (Australia)
Default language for documents:	 English (Australia)

If I set the default language to UK English then the thesaurus item is
greyed. I've always used UK dictionaries rather than Australian
dictionaries in word processors because of US word spelling. A quick
check has shown that the Libreoffice dictionary and thesaurus contains
words as they would be spelt in a UK dictionary.

The Libreoffice settings are identical under Kububtu and Xubuntu . The
locale language setting under Kububtu is set to US English rather than
UK English as I previously had it. An Australian English option is not
available.

So, both Libreoffice applications are set up the same yet the thesaurus
menu item is greyed under Kububtu. This can only mean that I have
overlooked a language setting somewhere.

What have I missed?

--
Regards,
Phil