LibreOffice UK thesaurus

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 19 01:08:05 UTC 2013

On 18/10/13 23:01, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 18/10/13 18:04, Phil wrote:
>> Thank you for reading this.
>>
>> I migrated from another Linux distribution to Kubuntu about two years
>> ago and since then I have been unable to get the UK thesaurus going.
>> In other words the thesaurus is greyed out under the tools ->
>> languages menu.
>>
>> I have installed the UK thesaurus using the extension manager and it's
>> listed under "Writing aids" as "OpenOffice.org New Thesaurus". I've
>> search the Internet for an answer and I see that many people have
>> asked the same question.
>>
>> The thesaurus used to work under my previous Linux installation and it
>> does work under Kubuntu if I set the language to "English US"
>>
>> I was hoping that the 13.10 release might solve the problem. Can
>> anyone offer any help?
>>

> Your language should be set/checked in a couple of places:
>
> * System Settings - Locale where you set the location (eg Australia); and
>
> * move the default Language from the left pane to the right pane.
>
> Also, in LibreOffice under Language Settings make sure that you have the
> correct language set.

Thanks Basil,

I had UK English set under system settings. Actually, I've found that
the locale language setting can be anything and still not affect what
happens under Libreoffice.

The only way that I can have a working thesaurus is the set the language
in Libreoffice to "English US". Several English variants are ticked but
only the US version allows the thesaurus.

I had installed the Libreoffice GB language package but it didn't help.

If the thesaurus menu item is not greyed out for you, and you're not
using US English, then I must have an incorrect setting somewhere.

--
Regards,
Phil