Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 06:04:31 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 13:10:55 Felix Miata wrote:
> OTOH, all Linux distro installers I've used:
>
> 1-default to installing on MBR (which means trashing standard PC BIOS
> compatible MBR code), while most make how to install to other than MBR a
> pain to discover, and all the while knowing that reinstalling Windows will
> restore MBR code to as it left the factory state, making Linux unstartable
> until "repaired".
>
> 2-get integration wrong when other OSes are not Windows (labels both DOS and
> OS/2 installations "Windows", and creates OS/2 stanzas that don't work)
>
> 3-mount FAT partitions on systems absent Windows as VFAT (instead of MSDOS,
> strict 8.3 filenaming), which at least potentially breaks DOS and/or OS/2.
>
> 4-create FSTAB entries that mislabel HPFS partitions as NTFS, again,
> creating no less than a potential for filesystem corruption, besides access
> failure

Folks, what kind of bogus do you all write about Linux installers? Some sane
installers even don't install X and don't install any DE. The user is
responsible to write the fstab, it's not Linux (the kernel) or Linux user
space. Just some distros chip with installers that try to make it easier to
install Linux for newbies.

If you are using Linux, you've got a choice and you need to act self-
responsible.