Fresh install Kubuntu 13.10: how best to partition the HD

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 26 16:18:34 UTC 2013

On 26-11-13 14:13, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-11-26 13:38 (GMT+0100) A.J. Bonnema composed:
>
>> Windows will trash you carefully crafted MBR.
>
> That is the same thing Linux installers do when they put Grub where it
> has no need to be on the MBR. With Linux also on a primary partition
> on the first HD, no MBR code needs to be different from what Windows
> put there, so Windows can safely be installed after Linux. The vast
> majority of my systems are multiboot with DOS and/or Windows and/or
> OS/2 and Linux and Linux and Linux and more Linux. None have MBR code
> that a Windows installation will change. The most a Windows
> installation will change in the majority of cases on my systems is two
> bits in the partition table moving the bootable flag.
>
> https://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html
Good to hear you have a different solution. But it is not the same thing.
Linux lets you choose: MBR or partition. It is not Linux that chooses:
its you.

Linux integrates Windows or any other OS into the grub install, whether
on MBR or not.
Windows trashes, doesn't care, will not integrate.

Kind regards, Guus.