kubutnu-users-owner (was Re: Intersting.......)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 10 05:21:30 UTC 2013

On 09/11/13 09:16, Clay Weber wrote:

> On Friday, November 08, 2013 05:50:28 PM Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> > OK, but was there any need to send private mail to begin with?
>

> > Just asking.
>
> Sure! Isn't it more polite or proper to keep such things off the list
> itself?

If the post was really meant as a private, "in your ear whisper",
message about a most serious matter then I wouldn't have made my comment.

But the post was also cross-posted to what I now found out was the
private moderator mail list which, therefore, advised them, basically,
"This is what I have just sent this person to put him in his place.
Watch out for his future behaviour and we can then put him on the "To be
Moderated list if he doesn't behave or bar him from the list".

Just a couple of comments here. If I send a private message to someone
relating to a matter mentioned in a thread I will start my message with
words which indicate in no doubt that I am sending a private, off the
list, message - and if anyone has any idea of netiquette then they will
know that the contents of the message cannot be made public without the
sender's approval.

The second comment is that I will answer public messages publicly and
private messages privately.

> > (I'll have to refine my filter in Thunderbird because if it sees
>
> > "kubuntu" it throws mail to 'kubuntu-users'
>

> > And I didn't know about the social divide between the riff-raff who use
>
> > the list [kubuntu-users] and those who own it [kubuntu-users-owner]
> :-) .
>
> I lol'd at that :)
>
> list-owner is simply an email for list *admin* messages and the like,
> such as spam, subscription/unsub, errors, and other notifications. It
> is also a handy way to help inform someone that the message is from a
> list admin, instead of someone the recipient may not know.

Then change the name to something along the lines of "admin" and not
"owners".

> All simple and above board, actually. And I am still riff-raff most of
> the time, especially when I dance the Time Warp :p
>
> (I am using the list and my own email as I am not at my own computer
> at the moment and can't recall the credentials.)

I take it from this that you are using it now as one of us plebs, right?
:-) And I therefore salute you!:-)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.12.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor