Synaptic

Clay Weber charles.clay.weber at gmail.com
Sun May 12 22:54:43 UTC 2013

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:25:21 PM Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 12/05/13 20:17, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:

> >> here.

> >> against

> >> really use

> >> makes

> >> Did you check the dependencies of these two packages? Might be the
> >> other one was packaged with something missing that caused the
> >> difference.
> >
> > That or configuration file differences in the user's config.
> >
> > Since synaptic isn't part of Kubuntu, you might have more luck on an
> > Ubuntu list.
> I also have an Ubuntu disk running 13.04 on the same machine: Synaptic
> is just fine, so the problem is somehow related to my fresh Kubuntu
> installation, although I hear and believe what you say about Kubuntu not
> packaging Synaptic.
>
> I'd like to better understand why Myriam thinks it might be a packaging
> problem? The user interface is completely different and I can't believe
> that it isn't the result of a design decision somewhere. Would your
> patience extend to looking at a screenshot of the "new" interface in
> case it triggers a memory?
>
> Peter HB

Synaptic , like Muon, uses an external application to manage sources. In
Kubuntu, it is called software-properties-kde, and for synaptic, Unity,
Gnome
and other gtk-based desktops it is *software-properties-gtk*. It could be
that
this is missing, perhaps. I tested installing synaptic on my system: it
does
NOT pull in software-properties-gtk, so checking the deps as Myriam
suggested
was a valid idea. if you install the missing package, you should be fine
there.

$ sudo apt-get install synaptic

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libcairo-perl libept1.4.12 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl libpango-perl
librarian0
  libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common rarian-compat
Suggested packages:
  libfont-freetype-perl libgtk2-perl-doc dwww deborphan tasksel
  **software-properties-gtk**
  libcairo-perl libept1.4.12 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl libpango-perl
librarian0
  libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common rarian-compat synaptic
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,671 kB of archives.

My guess is that software-properties-gtk is already a dependency somewhere
else in Unity/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/etc. It could be considered  a packaging bug,
as
it should be a dependency on the package manager so that it is installed
along
with that no matter what sort of *buntu system is used, especially if it
was
doing so in previous versions. However, it seems that moving software-
properties-gtk to "suggests" was done on purpose(1) but with no reason I
can
quickly discover.

This should be reported as a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/1179310