Even while writing this e-mail, the system 'froze' several times.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 10:58:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Bruce Bales <bbales at cox.net> wrote:
> On 06/10/2013 06:13 PM, Bruce Marshall wrote:

>>> Yep. My freezes last about 15 seconds and then suddenly everything is
>>> responsive again.
>>
>> I had the "freezies" a couple of releases ago but it was gone in 12.10 and
>> also in 13.04
>>

>>> <OT rant>
>>> My observation over the past few years is that for every thing that gets
>>> fixed in a new release, in general something else breaks. 13.04 has not
>>> conformed to this tradition in that there are definitely more broken
>>> things
>>> here than there were in 12.10. For example, my monitor will no longer
>>> power
>>> off after a period of inactivity.
>>
>> An old bug...  some sessions it will turn off, some sessions not.  I
>> eventually put in a cron job of
>>
>> 3 * * * *  /usr/bin/xset -display :0 dpms 1200,0,0
>>

>> which seemed to help.
>>

> When I first heard of Linux, maybe ten years ago, there was talk that it
> should replace Windows.  Everyone would use it.  I started using it and have
> used it exclusively for about ten years, using Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora,
> Mint, Puppy linux, Kubuntu 5, 6, 7, 8 and a bunch of others I have heard of
> and forgotten.  I got along pretty well until Kubuntu 8.04 lost its support
> -- seems like it was about 2010 or 11.
>
> After 8.04 there was no more Kmail.  Other things got complicated. I could
> no longer put a vertical panel on the left edge to hold icons for the
> programs I would use.  Unimportant, large panels popped up where they block
> information.  The panel across the bottom has unneeded information and
> doesn't have what I need.  And the tabs on the bottom panel move around and
> like to pick their own location.
>
> There is a tab sticking out of the right side of my Kubuntu 12-04 screen
> that says "new activity."  What do you suppose that means?
>
> What if someone had changed the name of Kubuntu 8-04 to Kubuntu-permanent,
> made some small changes to Kmail and supported it for another ten years?
> Maybe some of those Windows users might switch over.  Maybe I wouldn't have
> spent the last three months trying to get a working system.  Maybe someone
> besides a computer engineer could use it.
>
> Can you imagine the average Windows user doing
>
> "put in a cron job of 3 * * * *  /usr/bin/xset -display :0 dpms 1200,0,0"
> ??
>
> I'm sorry.  I know I shouldn't complain.  Linux free.  But it could be so
> much better.
> bruce

Yes, it could! I started having problems at the same time so I started
distro hoping. I landed on Sabayon KDE.
There are no updates every 6 months or 4 years whichever you like the
most. It does update but it is like a normal update on Kubuntu.

Pluses: Super fast, super stable and bleeding edge software. No more
updates!!!!!! And really the most important thing ever! The more a
distro is made for "normal users", the less help you can find in a
list like this or board. Sabayon does not seek newbies and thus
newbies get good answers when they ask on the forum!!

Cons: updates tend to break really stupid stuff like turning off my
nvidia driver leaving me stuck on the command line. Updates like to
replace your login settings (I auto login and this is reset to
password every time. I do know why but still a pain.) The newest and
beta stuff is released for ubuntu but not anyone else and then comes
the other top 10 but not Sabayon. On the other hand the Sabayon Forum
is so good that they will help you install it. Auto clock update is
not installed???? Dumb, no? I click the update button about once a
month but super dumb!

Not quite a con but the KDE system does not have a lot of default
stuff installed like sound meta and graphics meta. Equo search meta
and install it all. Some stuff like cvcdvd or whatever that encryption
is called gets uninstalled sometimes. Other strange things that come
from not having enough eyes on the system as it is built up. Nothing
too bad but not super newbie friendly. Normal users should give it a
spin!!

My system installs
Krita, blender 3d, VLC, Clementine, digikam, wacom drivers, Chrome,
Libreoffice, Skype, Kcalc, Audacity, XBMC for when VLC breaks, Kate,
Okular, KIM,  K3d, DVDisaster (free to copy everything mod), VIM,
Htop, NVidia X Server Setting, LuckyBackup, Ark file formats Like RAR
and 7Zip (Why not default? Don't know), Klipper.

Other graphics stuff, gimp, mypaint, inkscape, Adorky flash player.

It is the best system I have ever used including old XP.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: